Thursday, February 7, 2008

Feather Witch

If you are a loyal reader of this blog, you may remember Feather Witch from this post in which I drooled over a bunch of her earrings. Well, you can imagine how psyched I was when she agreed to be the first interview for this blog! I found her to be as cool as her jewelry, and I think you will too.

Heartache Tonight

Please introduce yourself - My name is Liz Douglass. I'm a Gemini. I have a cat and a husband (weird, huh?). I am a photo stylist by day (I make beds for catalogs). I'm totally inspired by music- both my husband and I are musicians. We just play at home or locally now- you can only be on the road for so many years. I love fashion and I made or altered most of my onstage clothing. I have a background in Art History.. I also make collages which will be going up this month on http://www.paperwitch.etsy.com/ and handmade and vintage children's clothing at http://www.sunshineprincess.etsy.com/ .

How long have you been creating jewelry? Have you always used feathers? - I started making jewelry by accident this summer. My friend wanted to make feather hair clips as a craft project for her birthday (a bunch of us were going out to the Russian River for a few days). Well I got a bunch of stuff to do it and we never got to it- we spent all our time in the hot tub or on hikes. So when we got back, I decided to make them myself. They came out so well- I sold some at the Painted Bird (a vintage store) and then well it went crazy from there...
I've always used feathers- at first because I bought so many but now I just love working with them.

Are your designs inspired by your materials? - Yes. My designs are inspired by my materials. I try to keep everything really earthy and natural, subtle but beautiful. Like feathers.

In your profile you say your designs are inspired by Stevie Nicks. Do you always listen to Fleetwood Mac while you work? If not, what are you listening to? - My husband can attest that I listen to a LOT of Fleetwood Mac. I have been listening to this classic hits radio station lately http://www.kfrc.com/. I'm kinda obsessed with it actually. I am taking a little break from contemporary music. Second Hand News

Do you feel like San Francisco is a factor in your designs? - San Francisco is very much a factor in my designs. It is such a wonderful progressive city with such a huge interest in enviromental issues. And it is the birthplace of the whole hippie movement. I started making my clips on the 40th anniversary of the Summer of Love- the city was just awash with this crazy vibe.


While we're on the subject, how about sharing some of your favorite San Francisco haunts? - My favorite haunts- Painted Bird (those girls have the best taste). Thrift Town on Mission- they always have such cute stuff. Bernal Heights- my new neighborhood. Cute shops and cafes- lots of babies and dogs. St Francis Fountain- a breakfast joint in the mission. Legion of Honor- a museum specializing in French art overlooking the bay.

To what do you attribute your success on Etsy? - My success on Etsy? I think I've done well because I make things that I'm proud of. Each item is unique and made with love.

Over the Hills and Far Away

Is there anything else we should know about you or your shop? - I really want to make band merch. You can take the girl out of music but you can't take the music out of the girl.

What is your favorite item in your shop right now? - My favorite item? Either my Brandy necklace ( I debate daily whether I should take offline and wear it myself) and my custom feather headdress- I just made one for a lady in New York and they are beautiful.

Brandy You're A Fine Girl

Crown Of Feathers

Where can we find your work outside of etsy? - You can find me in SF at Painted Bird, Wasteland, RAG, Still Life and in the East Bay in Pretty Penny, Shark's and Down at Lulu's. I also do the SF Indie Mart once a month and will be at the Noise Pop Trunk Show ( I' m pretty sure).

mel

1 comment:

DivaDea said...

Wow, I'd never seen this etsy artist before. Wonderful and unique! Thanks for sharing :)