Friday, June 13, 2008

printer's progress


carving a linoleum block, originally uploaded by wickedfreshie.
I haven't done any printing in almost a year, but I was inspired by the Lotta Jansdotter book launch party that I attended with the amazing Erin last weekend, and last night I pulled out some linoleum blocks and my cutting tool and got down to business. Above is my work in progress, and here is the result:


I'm pretty happy with it. I need to clean it up a bit and work on my printing technique (I'm thinking a different kind of ink, this one is a little chalkier than I'd like), but then I think this would make a great notebook cover. In my mind, I see it in pastel pink, yellow and maybe green. The design is actually taken from a drawing I did the first time I attempted to take a drawing class at the local city college. We were doing a negative space exercise with eucalyptus leaves; it was probably my most positive experience in that class, the rest of which was taken up with drawing portraits of other students.

More printing from last night:

This is a linoleum stamp that I carved a long time ago, I used it to make a tote bag for my sister, and also the buttons that I use as free gifts in my shop. This time I printed a sheet of bristol board, colored it in with marker, and next I will be cutting it up and turning it into notebook covers. I'll be sure to keep you updated with all the printing happenings.
mel

ps - also, be sure to check the current etsy featured seller interview with rubyslounge. her shop is so neat.

4 comments:

LazyTcrochet said...

That's cool to see. I like the blue and the design of the leaves is pretty!

melroska said...

thank you!

Anonymous said...

I saw the Etsy movie in the Storque about Lotta and I was totally inspired to try this printing stuff out! Thanks for sharing your creations! I really love both of them (:

melroska said...

thanks katelynjane. you should try lino printing, it's really fun and pretty simple.